Under the terms of the contract, Northrop Grumman will deliver 65 Viper Strike munitions beginning this year to the Joint Attack Munition Systems Project Office within the Program Executive Office Missiles and Space at Redstone Arsenal for eventual integration onto the KC-130J platform.
Viper Strike is a gliding munition capable of precision attack from extended stand-off ranges using GPS-aided navigation and a semi-active laser seeker. Its small size, precision and high agility provide a very low collateral damage weapon that can be used in the difficult operational environments where U.S. troops may be deployed.
"In today's irregular warfare environment, Viper Strike provides the right characteristics needed to support our warfighters in the current fight - high precision and agility to hit targets in complex terrain and with very low collateral damage," said Steve Considine, programs director, Aviation and Weapons for Northrop Grumman's Land and Self-Protection Systems Division. "The KC-103J represents the latest military airborne asset to be equipped with Viper Strike's formidable capabilities."
Viper Strike munitions are produced at the company's Huntsville, Ala., facility.
Northrop Grumman Corporation is a leading global security company whose 120,000 employees provide innovative systems, products, and solutions in aerospace, electronics, information systems, shipbuilding and technical services to government and commercial customers worldwide.
Northrop Grumman Electronic Systems
- Northrop Grumman's Viper Strike Being Added to KC-130J Arsenal - GlobeNewswire
- VITA, Northrop Grumman Complete Successful Disaster Recovery Test - GlobeNewswire
- Northrop Grumman Announces Winners of 2010 NextGen Engineering Scholarships - GlobeNewswire
- Photo Release -- World Science Festival Opening Ceremonies Feature Full-Scale Model of NASA's James Webb Space Telescope - GlobeNewswire
- Northrop Grumman Employees Assemble Nearly 18,000 USO Care Packages for U.S. Troops - GlobeNewswire